Untitled-1

Even though I work as a makeup artist for many years, I still love to read beauty and makeup books. This remains one of my passions. I love to see how different makeup artists perceive their work, beauty, how they use their tools, etc. In the near future I intend to write a post about my favorite makeup books as well.

In these days I received a makeup book and I soon started to read it. Usually, I almost skip the chapters about skin, because every make-up book has the same old story concerning skin care routine (apart specific books about organic cosmetic), which sounds like playing an old CD again and again. No real solutions for decades, claiming that sun is our enemy, that we have to pull on a ton of products (that’d be better avoiding them),… In short, there is more focus on negative rather than positive aspects of ourselves. Basically, we are “old, ugly and dirty” and “we need to correct every single thing on our face and body”, instead of celebrating our own beauty. That’s why I avoid reading skin care chapters.

But this time, I checked more accurately this book. Suddenly, I was shocked by a few statements – in a book written by a very famous makeup artist! In a paragraph (about which moisturizer to choose) it’s written that

“petroleum oil based moisturizers are much more effective than vegetable oils, even though they may block pores.”

OMG! Furthermore, is stated that

“chemically enhanced products  containing urea,…improve the moisture of the skin and are recommended for dry skin”.

OMG again! I understand and accept the fact that this makeup artist also sells her brand and therefore stands behind this marketing philosophy and petroleum driven industry. But going so far to blame vegetable oils being “not good enough” is simply too much! Nowadays, there is a lot of knowledge that has already (finally!) enlighten the situation regarding harmful toxic petroleum-based ingredients. Moreover, organic vegetable oils are among highest quality ingredients providing us a full spectrum of benefits not just for our skin. When ingested they are holy grails for our health (with natural omega 3, 6 and 9 fatty acids, minerals, vitamins,…). They boost our immune system, heal, soothe and prevent diseases,… These oils are however expensive as an ingredient. And here is the clue why the industry has to blame them in this case. Those who live by old paradigms, won’t go out from its own comfort zone, because is easy to earn money with old recipes, cheap ingredients and old way of thinking. But in contrary, it’s not “so easy” to change, to look for improvement and the whole wellbeing. What is the most sad about this is that many people just agree with this. It’s the same story as with corporations who force GMO (because of their own “wellbeing”) and literally claims that poisoned vegetables are better than natural ones. I believe that what goes around comes around and that these people are just playing down themselves at the end. Other people who are willing to think with their own head, will live by their own rules and not by those imposed by others. The statement about cosmetic oils that teased me can be compared with junk food. Comparing petroleum as good for our skin is the same as saying that a processed hamburger  is more healthy and delicious than organically grown vegetables/fruit/homemade dish. So bon appetite with petroleum gourmandise!

In general, I am not radical about certain things and I accept things as they are, but those kind of words that mislead the consumer with certain one-way statements make me speak out loud.

I will update soon my category about cold-pressed oils with a new one. Until then you can read more about cold-pressed organic oils in my following posts: Sesame oil , Wheat germ oil , Olive oil, Coconut oil , Rice bran oil.

0 comment on My reflection about oils in cosmetic skincare products

1. Anne
    January 31, 2012 at 9:18 pm (5 years ago)

Argan oil is the best oil ever! Natural Anti Aging, I just can t get my hands of it!! What do you think?

• green makeup
      February 1, 2012 at 9:53 am (5 years ago)

Hi Anne! Yes, argan oil is one of those precious gems, too:) I will write about it soon. It’s on the top of my list of cold-pressed oils. Natural anti aging – great to hear that from you! Keep sharing your positive attitude, which is the essence of being young inside & outside. Best 🙂 Dasha

2. Ningrum
    February 2, 2012 at 3:02 am (5 years ago)

I found your blog and read along…and WOW! I love your blog. How nice it is if we choose products correctly and read the ingredients carefully, but there are still a lot of people who don’t even care and concern about that. Hope someday we all wake up and realized that IT IS important to read ingredients. 🙂

Bravo!

• green makeup
      February 2, 2012 at 10:03 am (5 years ago)

Thank you for sharing your nice thoughts! I hope the same concerning the ingredients, too 🙂 Best, Dasha

3. Raquel
    February 15, 2012 at 11:33 am (5 years ago)

I’ve just discovered your blog in twitter and after reading this post…I’m hooked!! I couldn’t agree more in everything you said, I’m glad I found this as it will help me researching. I live in Spain, and here we are a few steps behind, it’s all about l’oreal, etc. and good stuff is usually equal to expensive stuff, but I’m discovering there are lots of friendlier alternatives to buy through internet. That being said, I really love jojoba oil! Looking forward to read your entire blog 🙂

• green makeup
      February 15, 2012 at 2:27 pm (5 years ago)

Hi Raquel! Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts with me! I’m really happy about it! I understand very well your situation as you described it. Well, in my country there is quite a lot of understanding green stuff, but as everywhere else, even here we need to learn deeper and discover all these knowledges by ourselves and share them. Just in this way, we will expand the awareness and help each other. If you have any questions or other thoughts to share, feel free to keep in touch! Best, Dasha

4. Kourtney L.
    February 22, 2012 at 5:31 pm (5 years ago)

I love the cartoon you found for this post! Currently I am using sunflower oil to cleanse my face and to moisturize. It is hard to hear the argument that petroleum is better then plant based products. It’s sad that most people don’t know what makes up their products or they believe that petroleum products are just as good as nutrient rich plant products.

Thanks for posting this. I really enjoyed reading it!

• green makeup
      February 22, 2012 at 6:32 pm (5 years ago)

Hi Kourtney! It’s nice to hear from you and know your green philosophy! I casually came across that cartoon and found it very appropriate for this topic 🙂 Yes, sunflower oil is very good! I have in plan to write about it in the future in the category of cold-pressed oils. Best, Dasha

5. Lynn
    February 24, 2012 at 3:10 pm (5 years ago)

I’ve put your blog on my blogroll since last year I think,but this is my 1st coment here(I guess so?Not sure.LOL!:D).Hmmm..I think I know what book that you mention above. Is the author name started with”P”?;) She is controversial..but I totally disagree on her about her points when it comes to natural products.She seems hate it!

• green makeup
      February 24, 2012 at 4:50 pm (5 years ago)

Thank you Lynn for passing by and for putting me on your blogroll. I have put your blog in mine, too! No, the author’s name does not start by P 🙂 But I think I know who you have in your mind 🙂

• Lynn
        March 1, 2012 at 12:12 pm (5 years ago)

Oh,thanks Dasha!:) I should have gave comment earlier,but i’m not a pro in make up(even only wear lipstick,foundation,concealer,eyebrow pencil then i’m ready to go!:D).So minimalist,isn’t it?;) What I want is just a simple make up that can enhance natural beauty that all women have,and cover flaws.So I rarely wear blue or green eyeshadow.Anyway,I’m curious about how to pick a good concealer for covering dark eye circles.Which one is the best:cream or liquid concealer?And some reccomendation of good brands,maybe?;) I think many women will love this post 🙂

Oh,I thought it was Mrs.P!:D she was a make up artist too,and having her cosmetic line too.Wow,she’s not alone then.Guess she has follower or..maybe she follows that author?Hahaa..dunno.But her opinions are weird about green cosmetics imo.

6. green makeup
    March 1, 2012 at 7:31 pm (5 years ago)

Hello Lynn! Don’t worry about your minimalistic make-up style! Nothing wrong with it. I totally understand your concept and embrace it, too 🙂 I’m a fan of “less is more”:) In this case I recommend you to find a few really good products with highest quality ingredients. This is important especially for the foundation in your case. If you don’t have problematic skin, I’d even suggest you a tinted moisturizer. Have you tried the 100%pure one? Or Jane Iredale’s Dream tint? They are perfect for minimalists 🙂 For the concealer I suggest you the Jane Iredale’s Circle/Delete under eye concealer (= cream concealer). It’s a 2in1cream option – one shade for concealing, the other one for neutralizing dark circles and it covers very well. Really worth to invest! Regarding liquid foundations I’d suggest you definitely Lauren Brooke’s Creme foundation- it’s amazing and you get a lot of product. I did a few makeups with it even for photo shootings. They also have a new pressed foundation all to try!

Btw. I also commented you about dark circles in my post “5 must-have beauty basics”, just in case you haven’t seen it yet 🙂
    Hope was helpful!

• Lynn
      March 2, 2012 at 4:15 am (5 years ago)

Oh,I haven’t seen it yet since wordpress date of post archive(where I can see what you’ve posted in the past)is different than on blogspot where I just can click the year,then month,then date.I’ll check it after this:)

I have zits since I easily break out when my skin is either too dry or too oily or even when i’m lazy to earse my make up at night:( Yes,100%pure one?I have bought it.Will review it after my current review.I’m not satisfied with it. Never tried Jane iredale’s,but i’ll look for it on the net now:) Oh,that lauren brooke’s is somehow popular(ever read about it before on other green beauty blog.I hope they ship internationally:)

Thanks for the suggestion anyway:)

• green makeup
        March 3, 2012 at 6:31 pm (5 years ago)

Yes, Lynn at Lauren Brooke ship internationally. Hmm, I really kindly suggest you to remove your make-up before going to bed. Your skin will thank you:) You can try with coconut oil, which is an amazing make-up remover and it also acts as an anti-bacterial. Because is a natural non-synthetic oil, will not clog your pores or make your skin greasy. It’s suitable for every skin type.

• Lynn
        March 8, 2012 at 2:27 pm (5 years ago)

I have tried it,Dasha!Thank youuuu!!*hugs* I should have tried it before,we have lots of coconut oil here.Somehow I just didn’t realize it earlier since I was affraid it’ll be as greasy as palm oil(we have it here too).
        Oh,I certainly will check the lauren brooke.Is their concealer good?(for darkeye circles)

7. green makeup
    March 8, 2012 at 3:57 pm (5 years ago)

I’m really happy to hear this Lynn!
    Regarding the concealer – they don’t have one special for dark circles, but if you will be patient, there is a nice surprise in the future about this 🙂 I will let you know when things are 100% sure 😉
    Best!